We are thrilled to announce the first major carbon buyer on our newly launched NCAPX marketplace.
It has been a big start to 2021 for SilviaTerra! Our Natural Capital Exchange (NCAPX) landowner platform is now open; forest landowners in the Southeast U.S. can now register and enroll. Also this month, we announced that we closed a $4.4M seed financing round co-led by Union Square Ventures and Version One Ventures, joined by other funds and private investors.
And now Microsoft is on board, as our first major announced carbon buyer on NCAPX with a purchase of 200,ooo metric tons of carbon removal.
The Proof is in the Pilot
In 2019, Microsoft helped us take the first major step in advancing NCAPX from concept to reality by funding an ambitious pilot program in Western Pennsylvania. We secured small landowners’ participation in the program and they noted it as easy to understand both the project setup and the results.
In the end, more than 20 Western Pennsylvania landowners chose to defer timber harvests and originate forest carbon credits through NCAPX–from small family forest owners to large commercial forest managers. As a result, 6,861 tons of CO2e were removed from the atmosphere.
This successful, rigorously conducted pilot was the proof we needed that our data-driven market design could fundamentally change forest carbon markets. By combining empirical tools to measure and monitor natural capital with financial tools to pay for change on the landscape (wildlife, biodiversity, fire risk, etc.) we can verify that the benefits are real, immediate, scalable, and efficient.
“SilviaTerra's NCAPX project will play a valuable role in helping Microsoft remove carbon from the atmosphere, and we look forward to seeing it make carbon market participation more accessible to landowners of all sizes."
--Elizabeth Willmott, Carbon Program Manager, Microsoft
The Most Effective Way to Source Carbon Credits
NCAPX is the first marketplace to unlock the full carbon potential of American forests by enabling every landowner and every acre of forest to be part of the climate solution.
By empowering small forest owners to participate as well as large, we make it possible for organizations to meet their carbon goals in more targeted and efficient ways.
- Every landowner can participate. Traditional forest carbon marketplaces have minimum acre requirements. NCAPX enables small and medium-sized family forest owners to take part as well.
- No enrollment fees. Other forest carbon marketplaces have high enrollment costs for landowners. NCAPX has no enrollment fees.
- Short, one-year terms. Other forest carbon marketplaces ask landowners to commit to 100-year terms, a huge obstacle for financially-conscious landowners. SilviaTerra is working on an approach to convert these one-year terms into an accounting model that appropriately values the immediacy of carbon removal against the shorter contract terms.
Carbon buyers benefit…
- High Quality, Large Volume. Because of the scope and quality of our marketplace, we have the potential to scale without losing the integrity of the carbon credits.
- Opportunity to create local impact. Since we have data on the entire U.S. forest landscape, buyers can target their carbon purchases geographically.
- Unprecedented transparency. Our scalable supply of quality forest carbon credits is fully transparent–for every acre, every year. This enables us to help organizations confidently meet their net-zero and sustainability goals.
The Path to Full Participation
We will be expanding to additional regions throughout the year. Our first forest carbon exchange is taking place April 1st, 2021 and includes landowners with pine-dominated forests in the following 11 states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas.
If you're interested in the NCAPX program, reach out to us today.
- Companies interested in buying carbon credits should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Landowners looking to sell forest carbon should contact us at email@example.com